MrsKathryn

Kathryn Reads KidLit

I am an upper elementary teacher who loves reading and sharing books with my students and fellow educators.

It's Monday! What are you reading?

How to Outrun a Crocodile When Your Shoes Are Untied - Jess Keating Treasure Hunters - James Patterson 13 Little Blue Envelopes - Maureen Johnson The Last Little Blue Envelope - Maureen Johnson El Deafo - Cece Bell Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

The last two and a half weeks have been hectic, to say the least, but are settling down a bit as we start our second week with kids at the school that I left my former school for at the very last minute! In the packing up of one classroom and trying to make my new room a welcoming space for my students on a very short time frame, I got a chance to see some of my old favorites and snag a few classics I have never gotten around to reading.  I probably don't need to add old books to the ever-growing TBR pile I have at home, but it seems some addictions are just never satisfied.

I finished How to Outrun A Crocodile When Your Shoes are Untied by Jess Keating last night and know that my students will love this story not only because of the quirky zoo-life aspect and a famous grandfather, but also because of how true-to-life Keating's portrayal of the awkward and self-conscious stage the main character is.  They will be able to relate to her experiences as a kid, if not as a someone who gets rides to school with camels!

On the audio-front, I finished Treasure Hunters by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein.  While I am sure that many of my kids will enjoy the story, it just isn't my favorite style of writing.  I enjoyed Grabenstein's Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library much more!

Before that, I enjoyed a little YA adventure with Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes and The Last Little Blue Envelope.  While they were a fun jaunt through Europe and I enjoyed the trip, I do think that they are a little old for my 6th graders - nothing terribly inappropriate (some drinking, references to pot smoking) but the experiences the author is having just seem to me to be too far out of reach for my kids to really understand the stories.

Tonight is CeCe Bell's El Deafo so that I can get it in the mail tomorrow! And I have started listening to Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater because my 12 year old son wants to read it and I want to make sure he will still be sweet and innocent if he does! ;)  Now that I am a little more settled in my new classroom, I also need to start in on some of the PD reading that didn't get finished this summer!

What are you reading?